[Herts] Why dosent Linux need a disk defragmenting utility?

ROBERTS, Mike mike.roberts at astrium.eads.net
Thu May 14 08:11:36 UTC 2009

There was some discussion at last nights meeting, during Malcolm's
informative talk on SSDs, as to why Linux doesnt come with a
defragmenting utility. I found this link during the meeting but it was a
bit big to explain without a projector and more time ;0). As a result I
thought I would save it for an email to the list today. I hope this
helps explain things.

http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php/2006/08/17/why_doesn_t_linux_
need_defragmenting

Cheers Mike 8-{>

--

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential
and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected