[Herts] Next Meeting: Herts LUG - Wednesday 9th September 2009

Steve Clark steve at bagofspoons.net
Fri Sep 4 14:18:44 UTC 2009

On Thursday 03 Sep 2009 17:54:17 nicolas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Next Meeting: Herts LUG - Wednesday 9th September 2009

Hadn't realised that we were meeting on 09/09/09. So can we think of a number
9-related feature? e.g. What are you 9 favourite applications? Mine would be
(in random order):

1. Firefox
2. Amarok
3. Kate
4. Gwibber (Twitter/Identi.ca client)
5. K3B
6. MythTV
7. Konqueror
8. VLC
9. Picasa. I know it's closed source, but it's a good photo manager

I don't have much to report. I still haven't set up my audio recording PC.
I've done some audio work on my main PC, but that has some sound issues. The
main one is that that sometimes lose sound. This often happens when we have
several family members logged in, but can also happen spontaneously. I get a
notification that my nVidia Analog is not working and it is 'falling back' to
digital. That is no good as I don't have anything hooked up to the digital
output. This is on Kubuntu 9.04. I've found various references to this
problem, but none of the solutions has worked for me.

My reason for setting up a dedicated audio PC is that it will have a minimum
of applications installed and I can tweak it for optimum audio performance. I
plan to use one of the dedicated audio distributions, e.g. Studio 64 (well the
32 bit version for my old Duron).

I did have a good experience of installing my latest hardware, a Microsoft (!)
keyboard. Some of the extra function keys (e.g. volume) worked straight away
and I was able to set up others easily.

See you next week.