[Herts] Twitter info? :: we are all doomed

local.linux local.linux at jumpstation.co.uk
Fri Feb 26 23:19:30 UTC 2010

hi Mike,

You give me too much credit but, I did have a few strongly worded, choice
anecdotes regarding the reasons I was not going to be using twitter any time
soon.

This subject really gets my blood boiling.

Although I agree in an ideal world it would be great to have every piece of
information link to all others in meaningful semantic terms and in the same
way people. The problem occurs in this slightly less perfect world and the
concept of digital archiving.

So there are all the dangers I mentioned in my
http://www.jumpstation.co.uk/flog/Jun2009.html#010620091607
anti-twitter talk but, there is a much MUCH bigger danger from the future.

Every time I interact with the web something is left behind and whereas my
http://www.jumpstation.co.uk/flog/flog.html contains almost no personal
information e.g. I never use my name. Links that I post may be to a source
code file with my name in the header.

Now someone with malicious intentions could manually paw through all these
links and related materials and obtain far more information than I would ever
be comfortable giving out. But my flog is eight years old, even a basic
automated spider could get a lot from trawling it. If I keep using it what
will the monetary value be of my data in another tens years?
I am not afraid of a dedicated malicious individual, I am worried about
bots/spiders that will collate information about me and make decisions based
on that.
First it maybe the industrious spammers just flooding me with personally
target spam, but then it will be the government and maybe not ours.
Hmmm that sounds a bit alarmist but, the bots, spiders and algorithms will
pigeon hole you and if they get it wrong ...

Using twitter is paramount to giving a personal and detailed (fully
searchable/indexable) diary that can easily be cross referenced to millions of
others.
Maybe its worth less than the work required to monetise today but, as more
people join, the veins of information get richer, then its only a matter of
economics before it all becomes profitable.

And to continue on my rather negative theme;
For those of you who hide from the digital world by avoiding things like
twitter and using your real name, what about the people sitting next to you ?
Are they blogging/twittering notes about your location/health/etc and who
needs humans, facial recognition is becoming more and more common on mobile
phones, laptops and security systems.

Add in a couple of data breaches, each containing a couple of million records
of ... well anything digital stored. Of course a couple of data breaches does
not seem very much but they are happening will all too much regularity.
http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=breach

This is not a question of personal freedom, social interaction or fear of
hackers, this is economics. How long before the data is mined and will they
tap your vein.

Rob