[Herts] Optimising SSDs talk from 2009

Malcolm Smith lists at thesmith.org.uk
Wed May 12 19:24:16 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:19:32PM +0100, Malcolm Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 09:39:04AM +0100, David Honour wrote:
> >
> > I want to build a machine for music production, which means:
> > - -ram for tmpfs for the active project
> > - -good cpu (my current one doesn't cut it anymore)
> > - -passive cooling
>
> You'll obviously need a small SSD for (most of*) the OS, with the
> rest on another (or 2.5" HDD) along with current audio projects.
>
> *At some point I'll finish my long-overdue Optimising SSDs report,

Here it is, only a year late:

http://www.thesmith.org.uk/words/journal/2009-05.html#ssdtalk

It's still a work in progress, still only theoretical, but I'd
welcome any thoughts from those of you who understand the deeper
workings of filesystems in Linux, before I go and make a fool of
myself broadcasting my theory to the unwashed masses at Slashdot, etc.

I presume we are meeting up tomorrow on the 2nd Thursday as usual?
I have no talks planned as yet, but look forward to hearing yours.
If it was Wednesday this month then I guess I'm late...

Cheers
--
Malcolm
http://www.thesmith.org.uk/     Personal site of unfathomable depths