[Hudlug] SCSI drives vs EIDE for Crimbo

Anne Wilson hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 16 16:25:00 2002

On Monday 16 Dec 2002 2:53 pm, Chris Lindley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My wife is gonna get me a new hard drive for my machine for my Crimbo
> pressie!!!
>
> Now this machine has always been scsi, at the moment I have a 9.1gig IB=
> DNES-309170W LVD 7,200rpm and a SEAGATE ST15150N SCSI-II  4.3gig drives=
=2E

> Now I need to ditch the Seagate as it's far too noisy.
>
> I was just gonna get the largest cheapest drive I could manage.  This
> seems to be 18.1GB Maxtor 68Pin LVD U160 (4.5ms 10Krpm 8Mb cache 1"
> High) from Scan for 81 quid inc vat.  (although I 'd really love   146G=
> IBM 146Z10 (Daytona) 68Pin LVD 4.7ms 10Krpm 8Mb cache =A3739.08 {grin})
>
> However what is the current situation with EIDE drives?  The main
> advantages of SCSI has always been low CPU usage and generalyl faster
> speeds.  However fro a desktop machine with the new DMA/66 drives is
> this stil the case?
>
> What are peoples general opinion on this?  Is SCSI still the way to go?
>
> Cheers
> Chris

SCSI is probably still best, though I'm not sure whether the extra cost i=
s=20
justifiable any longer.  I think the gap has narrowed quite a bit.  For i=
de=20
drives, there has been quite a bit of debate over several brands.  IBM an=
d=20
Seagate seem to be largely mistrusted.  I have heard some hard words abou=
t=20
Fujitsu, though my experience has been good.  Maxtor seem to be pretty sa=
fe. =20
It would bear some digging around though, to see if there are any facts=20
behind the opinions I've heard.

One word of warning - don't mean to teach granny etc..., but this is from=
 my=20
experience.  The faster drives only work if the motherboard supports them=
=20
correctly AND the newer ATA cables are used.  Many drives are supplied=20
without cables, and I have experienced vendors attempting to sell me cabl=
es=20
that were not the correct ones.

Anne