[Hudlug] HOWTO: Mouse Response

Rob Shakir hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 6 12:56:00 2002

HOWTO: Mouse Response

For those of you that are switching to Linux from Windows you may want to apply this little hint, it allows the mouse response to be that little bit more crisp!

First, su to root edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file. Look for this:

----
code:
Section "InputDevice"
----

My "InputDevice" section was this:

-----
code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
-----

Which allowed my scroll wheel to work, but not my 5 buttons (expect a mini-HOW TO on this later)

I added the line Option "Resolution" "1200" before the EndSection to make your mouse respond more crisply. You can play around with the value to get different mouse speeds.

So my new file is:

----
code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "Buttons" "5"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Resolution"  "1200"
EndSection
--------

Hope this helps!

Shak

Shak - Rob Shakir
"Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up it is perfect." - Linus Torvalds
msn - fsck@hotmail.com