[Hudlug] Blueyonder Broadband

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 6 16:41:00 2002

Hello,

> We're getting Blueyonder Broadband installed later this month, and I'm going to
> run a Linux box as gateway/router.  I've set it up to do IP Masquerading, and
> it's all ready to collect the external IP address from Blueyonder via DHCP.
>
> My question is, what DNS addresses do I give to the clients on our network?  In
> HOWTO's that I have read it says to give the same as the router, but how do I
> know what that is if it's given to me by DHCP?

Plug in your router, let DHCP happen, then look at /etc/resolv.conf and
see what it has given you, and then put these values in the clients
machine (or put them in your DHCP server so the clients pick it up).

Alternatively, you can run bind on your gateway and set it up to forward
requests to blueyonders DNS, and then point your client machines at your
gateway.  On the other hand, running bind is a security risk, so maybe
the first option is safer.

> The client machines are all windows 98/XP, and the router is Redhat 7.2 if it
> makes any difference.

Be very careful with RH and security.  You will get hacked unless you
have all the latest security patches installed.  The last I heard, you
had to pay for redhatnetwork to get security updates.

Tim