[Hudlug] Blueyonder Broadband

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 7 17:22:00 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 16:48, R.I.Kirkcaldy@Bradford.ac.uk wrote:
> Quoting Chris Lindley <chris.lindley@scotgate.org>:
>
> > Are you sure you need win98 to install Blueyonder?  NTL say a windows
> > machine is needed for the cable modem install, but basically they're
> > saying they only support windows.  When I had my cable modem
> > installed,
> > I just got the man to plug it into the wall. I did all the rest!
> >

> It says quite clearly on the website that:
> It is possible to configure Linux to work with blueyonder broadband Internet,
> however our installers will not connect to a PC running Linux, and
> unfortunately we are unable to offer any technical support to users choosing to
> run this operating system
> You will need Window 95, 98, NT 4.0, 2000 or Millennium and for Macintosh
> operating systems 8.1 to 9.05.

It does sounds quite like what NTL do.  i.e. give them a PC (running
windows) to connect to, or just ask them to connect the cable modem and
box up.

Then when they leave, you do all the rest. i.e. connecting the Linux
box!

When the NTL man connected my cable modem, he did give the impression
that a lot of people do, do their own config'ing.

> It also says somewhere that my computer has to have antivirus software on it.
> Can you imagine the technicians being able to setup antivirus on all types of
> linux?  Chances are they have an instruction book which they follow word for
> word to setup windows/apple - re-read the operating system requirements, they
> can't even support XP or osX yet.

Yeah, they'll have an idiot-proof flow chart of what to do next!!

1, switch on PC

2, switch on monitor

3, go for cup of tea

4, place cd in cd drive (drawer that comes out of top of machine, with
cd size insert in it!)

etc.....

Cheers
Chris