[Hudlug] Blueyonder Broadband

John Ralph hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 7 22:20:01 2002

Hi All,

----- Original Message -----
From: <R.I.Kirkcaldy@Bradford.ac.uk>
To: <hudlug@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Hudlug] Blueyonder Broadband

> Hi,
> Thanks everybody for the help.  Will DHCPD automatically get the dns
addresses
> from resolve.conf - or will I have to put it in dhcpd.conf manually?  I
suppose
> the DNS won't keep changing, and it's a fairly small network, so I might
as
> well setup DNS on the windows machines manually.
>
> Using a spare 486 really isn't an option.  I'd need an ISA network card
for the
> 486, and all our windows machines have PCI only.  Blueyonder will only
install
> on windows (98 or above).  Plus, I want to run sshd & ftp.
>
> And yes, running servers like that is a security risk.  I'm running
intrusion
> detection and Logwatch, I'm also on the bugtraq@securityfocus.com mailing
list,
> I'm going to update everything as soon as I get online, and I'm going to
keep
> backups as soon as I get a  cdwriter.  What more can I do?
>

> --
> Richard Kirkcaldy

Blueyonder Broadband do indeed specify a Windose machine for the initial
installation, I have even heard stories about the refusing to install if
said machine is not available!  However the AUP does specify that although
they will not support it, it is acceptable to connect their cable modem to a
network via an appropriate router.  Indeed, Blueyonder supply small business
connections identical to the home connections with a router included.
Incidentally Blueyonder recommend the Netgear RP114 router as compatible
with their connection.

DHCPd does not update the resolv.conf file, however the addresses you
require can be extracted from the DHCPd leases database, try something like:

cat /var/db/dhcpd.leases

John Ralph
john.ralph@blueyonder.co.uk