[Hudlug] Elvis Costello! I spit on the floor!

Chris Lindley hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 24 10:17:01 2002

Hi,

I dunno who gets the Sunday Times (major M$ bootlicker!) but there was a
free cd given away with it last sunday!

It's a demo of Elvis Costello's latest album, with some audio tracks,
and some MP3's.  The MP3's are DRM encoded. they will only play if
windows will d/l the latest version of Media player, which has all this
DRM stuff in it.  You can then only play each track 4 times. Each time
the player connects to a M$ database over the internet, then stops you
playing it a 5th time!

What a disgrace!  This has also happened previously. Oasis had a free
demo.  I've both as IU do subscrive to the Sunday Times.  Although I
reckon I may cancel my subscription.

I always wondered why such a paper was giving away cd's liek this.  Well
I reckon that they're being paid by M$ and Creative (they have sponsored
the cd) to get stuff like this in general distribution, so people will
have they're media player upgraded to DRM without them knowing!

It's a disgrace!

Read about it on The register and Slashdot.
http://www.theregus.com/content/4/26387.html

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/23/2345215&mode=flat&tid=141

Cheers
Chris

Sad day for anti-establishment Elvis Costello!

--
  Chris Lindley
  chris.lindley@scotgate.org          chrishl@bmb.leeds.ac.uk