[Hudlug] Elvis Costello! I spit on the floor!

Chris Wood hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 25 11:16:01 2002

On Tuesday 24 September 2002 10:51 am, you wrote:
> Poor Elvis, bit old out and out of touch. Well its like they say
> "accidents will happen". I'm sure he didn't personally condone the DRM
> aspect of the cd, but almost certainly, the ST did. I'll never buy it
> again. Its the lowest of the low to back door such "upgrades". It begs
> the question as to why anyone would use a M$ product- There are
> literally no advantages in using the windows platform, their media
> players suck and Office XP is overpriced krudd.

I'm sure both ST, EC and his record company were all perfectly aware of how
the promotion was working.
If you were a famous recording artist, how chuffed would you be if your
record sales were dropping because the general public were trading all your
music as mp3s? This is your livelihood remember! Careers tend to be short,
so you need to make as much money as you can whilst you are still famous.

I think most artists and record companies know that digital formats via the
internet are the future.
But they can't simply give that sort of material away, as there would then
be no record companies, and hence no beautifully recorded music, as it would
cost too much money to do more than record music in home studios.

I dunno - maybe your thoughts are different on this one.
Don't get me wrong - I have a creative jukebox full of mp3s, but I do
personally own all the music on it as CDs as well. I ocassionally get mp3s
off mates, but I then generally go out and buy the CD if I liked the album.

Companies have to make money to survive. So do recording artists.
Do them a favour - BUY their music if you like it.

Oh and as for advantages of MS products, I've used Unix for 10 years now,
and linux for 9. I use linux at home, and have done for many years, and have
used linux boxes as webservers, databases and firewalls in production
environments at work.
Open office is getting quite good, and I'm writing this email on kmail.
However, for word processing I would still fire up my Windows machine. No
question. The Office suite is still a country mile better than anything on
Unix.

;-)

C.