[Hudlug] Elvis Costello! I spit on the floor!

Anne Wilson hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 25 13:21:01 2002

On Wednesday 25 Sep 2002 11:02 am, you wrote:

> As above, and of course you are right about the media player upgrade as
> well. But if you already had 7.1 or better (and if not, where have you
> been?) then you already have DRM, and you don't need to upgrade further,
> although I have to say I don't understand what you are scared of.

My objection is to the sneaky backdoor way this sort of thing is done.  I
must admit, too, that I didn't understand until this week that my Creative
Playcenter software on the W98 partition is also DRM enabled.

We really do need to get to grips with this problem, though.  I recently put
a new DVD drive into my daughter's machine, and installed WinDVD.  I first
tried some Chinese Tourist Board DVDs - no go.  Then I tried the part data /
part film DVDs from PCPro - no go.  A commercial DVD played fine.  There was
a warning that the program would not play any material if there was not copy
protection incorporated.  I presume this is what banjoed the other stuff.  I
feel agrieved.  These are legally owned copies from a magazine and legally
bought DVDs that either have no region coding or multi region coding - I
don't know which.  I do not see what gives any corporation the right to say
that I can't watch something that I have paid for in full and legally.

Anne