[Hudlug] Elvis Costello! I spit on the floor!

Anne Wilson hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 25 13:34:00 2002

On Wednesday 25 Sep 2002 12:40 pm, you wrote:
> To introduce a heretical thought, maybe programmers need to earn a living
> as well as musicians ...

Of course, so maybe we need new ways of getting them paid, too.  (I only ever
sold one copy of one program - and that was to an educational body that never
bothered to pay my meagre sum :-) )  There are already some ways of
supporting linux distros, of course.  If you like a disto you can always buy
official CDs at low cost from the distro source, buy printed documentation,
buy, for heavens sake, a baseball cap with their logo - lots of things that
at least give them some income.  'Free as in speech, not free as in beer' it
has been described as.

I worry that too many people are attracted to linux because they think it is
free beer.

Anne