[Hudlug] Database

Tim hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Feb 7 10:16:01 2003

Brian Spencer wrote:

> Does anybody know of a database for Linux that works something like MS
> Access?

Um, no.   [skips arguments about whether MS Access is database or not]
But if you consider the built together database, user interface and
report system then there is not an equivalent.

Unless the Star Office database system does the job.

There are many free Database server products.  MySQL, mSQL and PostGres
are the main ones.

And then there are even more options for building the front end.  Get
out your programming skills in java, perl, php/html, php-gtk.   tcl/tk
is probably the best thing for making quick X based userinterfaces.

If it is simple, and needs multiple access, then a web based front end
is the way to go, but you have to realise that there are limits on what
you can do.  And that users will be dumb, and forget to click on submit
and stuff like that.

If your requirements aren't huge, then there are some good
datastructures in perl that can do the job.

I've always been meaning to write my own `quick form builder` bit of
software.   There is one I think called JDBC admin, but it only works
with databases which support transactions (like oracle) - which is a
good job because it is a dangerous piece of software.

The only suggestion I can offer as to why there isn't an access
equivalent is that most developer type people realise that database
servers are the way to go.

Tim