[Hudlug] cheap adsl router

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 28 23:03:00 2003

Charles Blackburn wrote:

> anyone know of a cheap (read max 70 inc vat) adsl router with 4 port
> switch that works with pppoA?

No.  And if you find one, then let me know.   The Speedtouch 510 is ok

> I've found a couple that would do the job ie: dlink etc, but they only
> specify pppoe

There is the D-link DSL504 which fits into your price range and supports
PPPoA.  I have two, and you are welcome to buy them for 70 pounds each.

They are essentially paper weights for serious applications because they
  hangup and need rebooting every few hours.

> Failing tI have a conexant based pci adsl modem but all the instructions
> are for a 2.4.3 kernel and i run 2.4.20.

You may be able to buy a Green frog off ebay for that price.  Presuming
that you have USB and some time to play with drivers.

Or you could take a green frog and mix it with smoothwall.

I've given up trying to find cheap ADSL gear and usually recommend to my
customers that they spend a little bit more to get the quality up.

We are at a disadvantage in the UK because most of the world is using
PPPoE, which makes the PPPoA market smaller, and so higher prices.

Tim