[Hudlug] Securing telnet

Simon Fox-Jones simon at techteach.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 08:25:10 BST 2003

Morning all

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of securing telnet against outside
machines but still allow one in.

I.e  all the LAN pc's should be able to telnet onto my redhat 6 server
running a pick database and also one outside pc.

I can configure the router to open the port on telnet to the server but it
cannot filter the address as the router is cheap and cheerful.

so all 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.20 should be able to telnet as they are on
the LAN and also another perhaPS 213.234.213.1 from the WAN

thanks for any suggestions

simon