[Hudlug] Help for Boot failure

Andy Macdonald andy at greenhead.ac.uk
Wed Apr 7 14:56:38 BST 2004

Andrew,

As Ben says, you need to boot off a floppy or CD - preferably the recovery disc you made when installing (?!).

You may need to get into the BIOS (press (usually) 'Del' or 'F2' during the start of the boot process) and check the boot order to get it to boot off CD or floppy. While you're there, check that the BIOS still autodetects the hard disc correctly ...

Sounds as though the hard disc has faults. They may be reparable, but usually once you have disc errors it is on the way out and will need replacing sooner or later ... nothing lasts, especially cheap PC hardware! Hard discs are so cheap now that the quality has come right down too (like floppy drives also). We have batches of PCs less than 3 years old where almost all have had new discs put in.

As long as you have data backups, you may find it easier to buy a new hard disc and re-install on it.

--
Andy Macdonald
Network Manager, Greenhead College