[Hudlug] A brief intro from the new guy

knowlton at 34n118w.net knowlton at 34n118w.net
Fri Jun 25 05:54:36 BST 2004

Hi all,

I'm new to the list, so a brief intro follows.

First up, I'm not in Huddersfield. I'm not even in the UK to be honest. I
live in Los Angeles, technically just north of L.A., about an hour away
from where Spaceship One took off on Monday.

I'll be doing a residency at The Digital Research Unit over to the Media
Center this summer. My work involves location aware technology to deliver
narrative components based on location. You can see what I am talking
about at www.34n118w.net. One of my colaborators and I did a project in
Manchester at Urbis for Futuresonic last month. There are pictures and
some documentation at www.interurban.34n118w.net.

I teach interactive narrative at the University of California in San
Diego. Looking around my house you would discover the same sort of
computer orphange that plagues many of us. Its populated with a few NeXT
Stations, a few SGIs, a DEC Alpha, some Macintosh gear and the usual PC or
two.

By no means am I a Linux expert, in fact I feel a bit ashamed to admit
that I haven't had a Linux machine up and running since my main machine
died a while ago. I'm currently working on installing Linux on an older
laptop before I leave on Monday. No CD-Rom, what a pain!

Thanks to a year old copy of Linux Format magazine, I have map of UK LUGS.
So what could be better on arrival I thought, than getting to meet some of
the Huddersfield Linux crowd.

I'm hoping to attend the June meeting, but I may be just outside London
for a few days that weekend. Its up in the air still.

If you have actually read this far I thank you for your indulgence.

jeff knowlton