[Hudlug] Two routers on 1 LAN

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Aug 9 20:16:58 BST 2005

Last week I talked to Paul about the physical difficulties of additional
cat5 wiring, and we discussed the possibility of adding a second WAP to
overcome my difficulties.  The unit that arrived today is an Acer WLAN 11g
Broadband Router which will also give me a 4-port switch - surely
enough :-)

I need to get my head around a few issues before I start, because I shall
have to forgo the cable that attaches this box the moment I start to work
on the problem.

Currently the LAN goes through a similar unit in another part of the house,
with an IP range of 192.168.0.  Paul suggested that I should configure
this new one on a separate subnet, and since the default is 192.168.1 I
will stick to that.  I prefer to use static IP, so I'll ignore the setup
for DHCP.  The first setup screen once that is selected asks for

WAN IP address
WAN subnet mask
WAN Gateway address
and 3 DNS servers.

I'm familiar with a normal router setup, but how do I tackle it here?  This
router will not be directly attached to the Internet.  It must communicate
with the other subnet to go outside the LAN.  Once that's done, the rest
of the setup looks straightforward.

There is some firewall capability in the unit, but since everything is to
go through a firewalled unit, as well as having workstation firewalls, I
can discuss the degree of need for that later.

Then I have to work out how to bridge the two subnets.  The main unit, the
D-Link, looks as though it can function as a bridge.  Can anyone please
give me an outline of what I need to look for, and how to begin?  As I
said, I lose some functionality as soon as I start work on this, so I need
to know what I'm doing from the start.

Anne