[Hudlug] Two routers on 1 LAN

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 13:07:33 BST 2005

On Wednesday 10 Aug 2005 12:55, Ben Carter wrote:

> I'm unsure of exactly the features the acer will give you, however the
> following should help.
>
> 1 - you need to have this AP and the other AP on the same ip subnet as
> the first one, unless you have a device capable of routing between them.
> Most broadband routers have 2 interfaces to the routing process - the
> broadband link, and the local LAN. The Local LAN then has at layer 2 the
> 4 switch ports and the Wireless Interface.
>
> 2 - it seems that all your trying to do is extend your house LAN. You
> really need to have the 2nd AP wired into the LAN, or you'll need to
> have the wireless interface set to repeat to the first AP. (Not good for
> lots and lots of reasons - and the acer might not even support this)
>
> 3 - ensure both APs are using very different channels. 802.11g has
> channel overlap, so I'd suggest 1 AP on channel 1 and the other on
> channel 13.
>
> 4 - If you can get past the setup screen for the WAN interface and DNS,
> fake it, it's all layer 3 stuff anyway, which you won't be using. Just
> ensure the default gateway of your PCs etc.. is the true gateway.

Thanks - that should help a  lot.

> I have to ask - why did you buy a broadband router etc... when it won't
> be connected to a broadband line. A simple Wireless AP/bridge seems far
> more suitable?

Probably because I misunderstood the advice I was being given.  Although
I'm happy with normal network setup, this is new ground for me, on several
issues, so it's easy to believe that I got it wrong.  However, as long as
it does the job - the price was not much different ;-)  Thanks for the
help.

Anne