[Hudlug] buying a laptop

Ben Potter bpotter at teamsearchmr.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 14:13:38 BST 2005

Michael,

Most laptops will run Linux OK without any problems - the two areas
which tend to be badly supported are any cdplayer controls/LCD (starting
to get popular), and more importantly the on-board graphics card.

Given that its very difficult to change the graphics card in a laptop
(nigh-on impossible) its fairly important to check what level of support
the kernel and X has for it. While 2D acceleration is often supported,
3d acceleration is still rare.

If you need 3d acceleration (mainly gaming) your best best will be a ATI
or Nvidia graphics card, as they at least provide binary (closed source)
drivers.

Historically there were a lot of problems with SiS (graphics) chipsets
on laptops, but Thomas Winischhofer has sorted most of these now - but
still no 3d support

If you can find one that other people are running a specific
distribution on, you may be able to get help with any problem areas more
easily

Hope that helps
Ben

P.S. Hope I've spelt TW's surname properly :)