[Hudlug] meeting on july 4th

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 23 11:56:45 BST 2005

Hi!
I am a newby to Linux and to this mailinglist and to the lug in general.
I have been trying to get in touch with Vox Bar about the forthcoming
meeting only nobody appears to be taking calls because the phone just rings
without being answered.
I am trying to enquire about the meetings, costs for attending etc and to
confirm a time because my father offered to bring me to the first meeting if
I was interested because I am Visually Impaired and need some advice as to
where to go as to get started using Linux.
I know about the access software, Speakup, Emacspeak, Brailettry and
Gnopernicus which is the only graphical screenreader as KDE isn't supported
by speech as yet, (sorry about my spellings of the last two pieces of access
technology) and I have read information about Linux but am in the dark as to
where to start, what distribution I should use and maybe trying to get
information about my computer to find out if it will run under Linux.
A friend of mine who is a member of the Hereford Lug who used to go to the
same Blind School in Worcester as me suggested I ran Ubunchu with
Gnopernicus as I don't have a Braille display and don't have my hardware
synthesiser at my flat as have lost my connector for it which plugs into the
serial port at the back.
Could anyone possibly email me back or call me with some useful information?
53 Roundwood Avenue
Dalton
Huddersfield
HD5 9YQ