[Hudlug] Thoughts on HudLUG

Andrew Beresford a.j.beresford at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 00:10:18 GMT 2005

Hello hudlug-ers,

Well, we've had our monthly HudLUG meeting this evening - with a
grand-total of three attendees. So we took the opportunity to come to
some majority decisions (it's much easier when there are only three!)
which I'll throw at you all to see what you think. There's certainly
nothing definite here and I'd just like to get the impression of what
people think the best thing to do is.

1. Venue

HudLUG's been at the Head Of Steam for a while now, and whilst the
building itself is pleasant and the beer is generally good, the staff
have been most unhelpful. Tonight for example, Ben had his laptop
plugged in to the wall after asking at the bar to make sure that was OK.
He was then later asked to unplug it and was told they don't allow
customers to use their electricity. This has happened a few times now
(at least on the last three occasions). There's no free internet - which
would be a nice bonus. Also, the HoS doesn't really lend itself to
people giving a brief presentation or talk. Which brings me nicely on
to...

2. Format

This has certainly been brought up on the mailing list before, but it
seems the current format isn't really working. It would be nice if we
could "do more". We all have our own little areas of expertise that we
can bleat on about for ten minutes or so to give a focal point for the
evening. Or we could do a mini-installfest, or something like that. And
yes, I could even bring my stash of Ubuntu Live/Install CD's that I keep
meaning to bring along!

Really, we'd just like to get an idea of what people want to do.
Nothing's definite, just a bunch of thoughts the three of us had this
evening.

I have an idea for a venue, but I need to speak to the guy that runs the
place. I'll let you know what it is once I've spoken to him to see if
it's ok. If anyone can suggest anywhere else, that would be great.

Cheers,

Andrew B (Beezly)