[Hudlug] Re: Samba Diagnostics

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 09:38:42 GMT 2005

On 11/7/05, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> It does look as though the version I downloaded was pretty old
> (attached) - but then it was almost 3 years ago, I think.  Apparently
> by that time nmb -L had been replaced by nmblookup, so the tests needed
> updating.  ...

Interesting.

I was about to suggest that age was not of itself a likley problem - that
samba hadn't changed much, and that it was still necessary run through
the tests in Diagnosis,txt.

If the Samba utilities have changed then one would need a Diagnosis.txt
that matched the installed version.

I will look into this again.

What I would like to say, would be to emphasize the important of a step-by-step
approach to diagnosing Samba problems.

If you use your vendors package managment system (yast, portage, apt/deb)
then you can expect to have a working system at all times, and perhaps this
is less important that it was.

Ben