[Hudlug] changing screenreaders

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 19 17:45:58 BST 2006

I am beginning to wonder if I might be better to use Orca for speech under
Gnome rather than Gnopernicus?
someone on one of the mailinglists that deals with Gnome and Linux said
something about the fact people don't seem to be putting much development
time into Gnopernicus and reading into it, I am wondering if they think Orca
is likely to be the way to go as regards GUI accessability under Linux.
I have pasted some information below from a Wiki page.
I still also feel that trying to get a keypad working with my Laptop may be
the way to go if these screenreaders use Keystrokes that need a numeric pad
unless of course I am using Linux at home on my desktop, assuming I can get
Linux working with speech or perhaps I should say better speaking of Linux
without having to do all the manual commands in whatever screenreader I use
be it Gnopernicus, Orca or anything else.
GNOME Live!
Titles
Text
FrontPage
RecentChanges
FindPage
HelpContents
Orca/UbuntuDapperDrake
Show Parent
Immutable Page
Show Changes
Get Info
More Actions:
Orca/UbuntuDapperDrake
These notes are based on Ubuntu Dapper Drake Flight-6 on a Toshiba Tecra M2
laptop.
Please help
[WWW] us
 fill this out based upon your experiences.
1. Obtain/install the Dapper Drake 6.06 (not Breezy 5.10) OS distribution
2. Install Orca: sudo apt-get install gnome-orca
3. Configure and run Orca: orca-setup; logout/login; orca
4. If you want to build from sources
1. sudo apt-get install gnome-devel build-essential automake1.9
python2.4-dev cvs
2. gnome-speech from sources
1. cvs co gnome-speech; cd gnome-speech; ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr; make;
sudo make install
2. test-speech
3. Orca from sources
1. cvs co orca; cd orca; ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr; make; sudo make install
5. Gaining access to gui based administration tools
Obtain/install the Dapper Drake 6.06 (not Breezy 5.10) OS distribution
Install normally and select the defaults:
[WWW] http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/flight6
Once you've done the install, uncomment the various "universe" lines from
/etc/apt/sources.list
followed up a 'sudo apt-get update'. Then do a full update.
Install Orca: sudo apt-get install gnome-orca
Configure and run Orca: orca-setup; logout/login; orca
orca-setup lets you select various orca configurations. It's a placeholder
for now.
It will enable accessibility as well, but you need to logout and log back in
for
the accessibility setting to take effect.
To run orca, run 'orca'.
If you want to build from sources
The steps above should get you going with Orca rather quickly. If you want
to build/install
Orca from sources, you need to get some more stuff.
sudo apt-get install gnome-devel build-essential automake1.9 python2.4-dev
cvs
These commands will set up the build environment:
sudo apt-get install gnome-devel build-essential automake1.9 python2.4-dev
cvs
gnome-speech from sources
Building gnome-speech from sources is not a requirement, but the
instructions are
included here if you want to include another speech synthesis engine, such
as a commercial
engine like Fonix's DECtalk.
cvs co gnome-speech; cd gnome-speech; ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr; make; sudo
make
install
Check out and build gnome-speech from GNOME CVS HEAD:
cvs co gnome-speech
cd gnome-speech
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install
test-speech
Run the test-speech application to make sure you can activate and interact
with a
gnome-speech driver such as the festival-speech-synthesis-driver. If you
cannot get
test-speech to speak, then Orca will not speak.
Orca from sources
cvs co orca; cd orca; ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr; make; sudo make install
Check out and build orca from GNOME CVS HEAD:
cvs co orca
cd orca
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install
Run orca-setup and orca as described above.
Gaining access to gui based administration tools
If you attempt to access any gnome based administration utilities such as
gdm setup
or synaptic, you will notice that by default, in order to do so, you will
need to
enter your sudo password. Although the use of sudo provides an extra layer
of security,
it also presents a challenge in terms of accessibility when it comes to the
gui.
In a nutshell, the issue is that programs which require sudo are being
launched from
an account different than that of the user who is running Orca. At present,
accessibility
information can not be communicated across accounts. Therefore, when an
application
is run in this manner, Orca is unable to provide useful feedback.
One way around this issue is to enable the root account, and to allow the
root user
to login to gnome. This can be accomplished as follows: set a password on
the root
account: 'sudo passwd root'. Next, edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom and add the
following
line under the [security] section: AllowRoot=true
Reboot your system. Now, log in as root via a text console, and run
orca-setup.You're
all done. You can now login to gnome as root, run Orca and administer your
system
to your heart's content.
The only disadvantage to this approach is that although they are accessible
via the
command line, none of the administration tools appear in the start menu for
the root
user. Anyone know of an easy way to fix this?
last edited 2006-04-19 11:15:57 by
WillieWalker
Show Parent
Immutable Page