[Hudlug] The Right True End - Non-programming ways of partcipating (was Re: Gnopernicus ...)

Ben Fowler ben.the.mole at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 12:22:43 GMT 2006

On 2/27/06, MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> [ snip ]
> ...so apart from my lack of being able to sit down
> and write a program, the time I have available while not being tied down to
> a number of hours in a job should in theory be an advantage rather than a
> hindrance rather than start something, go to work half way through what I
> am hoping to achieve and then not finish it because I am too busy ...

We need to a make a list of non-programming activities that you would like
to do. I see no harm in demostrating to a potential employer that you are
disciplined enough to work as needed on a volunteer project, and
organised enough
to do this whilst working and gainfully employed.

> or have
> lost track of what I am doing and end up getting sidetracked which is
> sometimes what I have found with potential relationships.

I may be reading too much into that, but I am tempted to repeat that
losing track of where one is can happen to anyone, and whilst I would
suspect that having to organise one's thoughts on a single, linear
track makes it far harder for you than for me, I would urge you to
select areas of activity and duties that match actual or potential
employment, so that any conflict is minimised. This may not
be possible or appropriate at all times, and so I would have a fall
back position of being sure note to bite off more than can be chewed,
and of course, we shoulkd be here to help you.

Ben