[Hudlug] linux friendly isps

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Sun Feb 25 18:50:42 GMT 2007

On Sunday 25 February 2007 18:18, MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> I am thinking of changing my ISP as they keep changing their home page
> layout to the point where it seems difficult to access the mail folders
> ie the check mail link seems to no longer work and so I have to go to my
> mail and then to check mail, basicaly I have to go around about route in
> order to check my bulk folder just in case I have any mail from
> mailinglists I am subscribed to which might have been treated as spam
> and marking messages as normal has to be done either individually or I
> have to use my mouse pointer in Windoweyes screenreader to find the
> button to move marked messages so the site seems to becomming more and
> more inaccessible and not conforming to W3c standards.
> If I were to change my ISP what you suggest as a provider which is Linux
> friendly?

Is there a reason you're using webmail rather than a proper mail client?
I've never used a webmail interface that's suitable for anything other than
occasional use.

If you only need to access you mail from one machine it's fairly simple to
setup, most mail clients know how to fetch mail from a POP server.

If you want to access mail from multiple machines you need an IMAP account.
This means either getting an account from a third party, or switching to an
ISP that provides IMAP access.

In terms of Linux support, you're unlikely to find any ISP that will actively
support linux. The difference is whether they provide enough information for
an experienced user to set it up themselves, or just freak out as soon as
they notice you're not running windows :-)

I personally use and recommend pipex. They're not the absolute cheapest, but
seem reliable, fast and generally competent. They also provide IMAP if you
want it. Their user surveys generally have "Linux" as a valid response, which
is also a good sign ;-)

Paul