[Hudlug] using linuing more

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 4 10:18:41 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 09:47:47 michael weaver wrote:
> i am having to use linux more as i think windows on my desktop
> got infected with a trojan and while trying to remove it, the
> program i tried to use to deal with it caused my internet and
> email applications to stop working due to some message in spy
> hunting coming up and causing applications to refuse to run and
> it refused to be deleted.
> don't know what firefox under linux is like when transfering
> money between my accounts but it does seem fairly accessible when
> viewing my accounts also navigating the buttons maybe a little
> less straight forward which could be a problem when transfering
> money between accounts

I have no problem doing that with my bank, Michael.  Some web sites make
paying more of a pain, sometimes failing, in firefox, so I just paste the
page url into konqueror and pay from there when that happens.  Fortunately
there aren't many such sites - at least that I use :-)

> but using the internet applications on my
> desktop in ubuntu still works although i think my copy of windows
> xp is on its last legs even before my latest problem with it
> because of times when i have had problems accessing the start
> menu where i think the screen went funny and i would get the
> desktop icons being spoken so i would have to press ctrl escape
> and u or the windows key u and reboot to sort out the problem
> with the start menu not speaking properly.

Have you tried the built-in roll-back?  It should be able to go back to before
the problem began.

If I understand you correctly you have two boxes under your desk, and are
reliant on someone changing leads for you.  If that is so, would a KVM help?
I have a KVM that takes two PS/2 mouse and two PS/2 keyboard leads.  You
switch between machine with keystrokes - I think it is Scroll-lock,
Scroll-lock, 1.  If you want to try it I'll bring it to the meeting.
Obviously I'd check the keys required first.

Anne