[Hudlug] ubuntu and speech

michael weaver weavermicha at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 6 18:13:11 GMT 2008

i don't know if this problem affects other linux distros such as
fedora but speech is very sluggish in ubuntu even with my now
half gig and 1 gig machines.
there was something on one of the accessibility lists about gnome
speech the default speech driver being rather entensive which is
why some use the speech-dispatcher driver instead but trying to
get the latest stable vousion to work with gutsy has yet to prove
successful as i seem to get an error when it starts after
estalling with apt.
from what i have read about speech-dispatcher it sounds like it
is less memory intensive than gnome speech and it was suggested
that it owd solve my poblem with sound mixing i speech is coming
through my sound card on my desktop and laptop.