[Hudlug] linux + kubuntu + yahoo

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 11:11:51 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 13:45, Dave Naylor wrote:
> Hey
>
> >> Mail Options --> POP --> Access and Forwarding -->  [POP Settings]
> >
> > That's exactly what I was trying to help him to do.  However, I don't
> > have a yahoo login, so couldn't check the settings.  He said that he knew
> > the pop address and smtp address, including ports, and I took his work
> > for that, but he didn't know anything about authentication settings, and
> > they are hardest to guess.
>
> Just found this on a Yahoo Help Page:
>

> "The ability to access Yahoo! Mail via a POP3 email client is only
> available to customers of Mail Plus. If you have not purchased the
> Mail Plus service, you will be unable to retrieve messages via an
> email client (such as Outlook or Outlook Express). You can determine
> whether or not you've purchased this service by visiting Yahoo's
> password-protected secure billing site."
>
> I'm off to delete my account :)

Someone else said that this is so.  However, the OP says that he has
downloaded in OE, but gets from yahoo a message telling him that if he
insists on doing that he must enable SSL.  That suggests that it is indeed
possible with a standard account but just discouraged.  Of course I may be
misreading the situation entirely, due to lack of first-hand knowledge

Anne