[Hudlug] invitation to give a short talk about open source

Andrew Wilson andrew at blinkmedia.org
Mon Nov 15 19:14:18 UTC 2010

Hello there,

my name is Andrew Wilson. I help organise a very occasional (we are on
our second) event in Huddersfield called All Sorts of Technology and
Democracy.

The aim of the event is to bring together anyone who might care about
technology or local democracy in any way, whether that is robots and
home made rockets or tenants and resident associations and local history
societies. We want to give people a chance to talk about what they care
about, learn new ways of looking at things, and maybe come up with new
ways to get things done for themselves in their neighbourhoods.

There is some more information about the previous event and the next one
here:

http://huddersfieldsocial.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/upside-down-democracy/

and here

http://huddersfieldsocial.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/all-sorts-of-technology-and-local-democracy-part-two/

There is no plan for these events other than to see where they lead, but
something that would help them go in an interesting direction I think is
an awareness of the history, principles and practice of open source.

So I was wondering if there was anyone from the Huddersfield Linux group
who would give a short talk to a small group of people, just explaining
what open source is, why and where it comes from.

This would be for an interested general audience rather than an expert
audience but more valuable for that perhaps, and certainly not a
difficult crowd - it will be a small group of people in the cafe bar of
the Media Centre on Northumberland Street, so no need for any serious
preparation, just a general introduction and overview would be great.

Would couldn't offer a fee I'm afraid (nobody is getting paid for any of
their involvement) but I'd certainly be very happy to buy several pints
or cups of tea, and there will be some sandwiches as the event.

It's on Thursday 24th from 5.30 till 7.

Many thanks for your time
Andrew