[Hudlug] Possible Revival of HudLUG Meetings

D.Bolton U0970268 U0970268 at unimail.hud.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 22:05:00 UTC 2013

Cheers Paul.

> I'd say that wifi is nice, but not essential.  There are usually enough people
> have smartphones/3G dongles that if you desperately need something off the
> internet you can probably get it. In practice even good public wifi is
> unlikely to be sufficient to download large distro images, etc.

Hehe - have you exceeded the fair use allowance at Vertitas? You are probably right - but it can be annoying if you are expecting a free connection, and find that there isn't one, or the logon process is farr too silly. Actually, I do have a portable wifi router - but am about to cancel my 3G dongle contract, as I rarely use it any more ;-)

Yes, I'm sure there are ways around it. Anne's suggestion of prior notice, so people can turn up having already downloaded app is a good one.  Bringing software on USB sticks and CDs, for popular distros, might work too I guess.

> I agree that talks are the key.  I really doesn't matter that much how formal
> these are, or even that they be directly linux related.  Even if the link to
> linux is tenuous, you'll find that folks are much more likley to addend (and
> come back subsequent months) if there's a pre-organised talk/demo.  In my
> experience this is by far the hardest part of organising these events.  The
> first couple of months are easy, but after that it requires sustained effort
> to find/coerce new victims^Wspeakers.  While it may be true that everyone has
> something interesting to talk about, most will only do so if prodded with a
> sharp stick.

Having organised and run groups for various purposes in the past, I can appreciate the problems - and I know it isn't easy. Initial enthusiasm can quickly turn into frustration, as the doldrums set in. Groups almost have to be continually reinvented - in a kind of Marxist "perpetual revolution" stylee - to keep people interested.

....still working on venues....

David

[”THE]