[Infopoint] One page Linux manual for Manchester infopoint

Paul Waring paul at rixort.com
Sun May 16 21:31:21 BST 2004

James Holden wrote:
> It's a good cheat sheet, but maybe a bit too techie (and therefore
> off-putting) for Linux newbies. The new distros are very point-and-click
> with little need to resort to stuff like xvidtune or queueing prints
> with lpr.

Hence why I would like to make a different version, although I think
it's important to get newbies using the CLI from the beginning. At the
very least they need to know how to do a ./compile && make && make
install and also understand directory permissions.

> Well, copying is cheap these days and I'm sure somebody can
> misappropriate their office copier! I think I'd feel a bit cheap asking
> for 10p off people. You could just have a donations tin maybe.

Unfortunately I don't work in an office. :)

I like the idea of a donations tin though - photocopies would cost me
3p/each personally (although at least 1p of that goes to Oxfam) so 100
double-sided copies would set me back £6. I'm not too bothered about
getting that back, but if a lot of people want the sheets/CDs I'd like
not too be hugely out of pocket.

> I provided the CDs free of charge at the Leeds one yesterday because I
> get them cheap enough anyway through fastdiscs. I did put a small (1
> inch tall) ad on our flyer though, and even that had a 10% off discount
> code in it. Not like I was trying to capitalise on the event though,
> even though we do kick cheeplinux's ass. 8-)

Not running a business myself (well, apart from small web design/hosting
stuff) that wouldn't work for me so I guess I'll have to ask for a small
donation (suggested 20p or something) for CDs. Although I'll use
whatever is left out of the ones I take with me.

> Knoppix has a cheat sheet with boot parameters in case it falls over
> during hardware detection. That might be useful.

I will have a look for that and consider distributing it with the CDs.

> Drop your one over by email and I'll host it if you like.

Thanks for the offer, but I've got oodles of hosting already that I
can't even use myself (at the moment I think I use < 1GB of my 10Gb
bandwidth quota) that needs putting to use.

Paul