[Infopoint] Linux vs. FOSS

Jono Bacon jono at jonobacon.org
Sun Oct 17 20:48:58 BST 2004

Hi all,

Russ - first of all - accept my apologies for lagging behind sorting out
a Carlise Infopoint. I am hoping the website will help to spread the
project out so others can pick up the slack that collects around my feet. :P

> I'm pretty sure you're right - we can't sell, but we can cover costs
> (I'm sure Jono will put us right if we're wrong). If we set the charge
> at what a CD-R costs (about 25p?) then we shouldn't be in breach of the
> agreement with the fairs organisers, but people won't pay anything for
> something they won't use, so hopefully only those people that think they
> will use it will actually take one.

You can seel CDs for the cost price of making them, but no profit can be
made.

As for this discussion of the type of advocacy at Infopoints, I am a
firm believer that we should not advocate individual projects such as
KDE/GNOME, but other FOSS projects such as the TheOpenCD and Mozilla are
fine. This is because these other projects are of use in non-FOSS
related environments such as Windows. I see Linux and TheOpenCD being
the big ones here, although I am going to be getting in touch with
SpreadFirefox to see if we can collaborate together.

    Jono

--
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Writer / Journalist / Consultant / Developer