[Infopoint] Manchester InfoPoint

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Dec 1 19:03:08 GMT 2005

John wrote:

[...]
>  I only had Knoppix and Ubuntu CDs. I had
>  actually turned up to try and get a graphics card and ask for help on
>  an MS problem. In the last ninety minutes of the show while most
>  stalls were packing up, I managed to hand out all fifty CDs and talk
>  myself hoarse showing off KDE and Gnome. Many had tried in the past
>  and were happy for the latest Knoppix.

Wow. Great. More power to your elbow! I am also impressed that you carry
around a laptop and 50 CDs, on the off chance......  I only carry a
small swiss penknife and a 256M usb stick!  :-)

[...]

>  One, Steve, even stayed to help and promised to attend the next
>  ManLUG meeting.
>
>  Obviously it would have been better with a little preparation/
>  posters/ others/ CD burner etc., but considering it was a spur of the
>  moment thing it went OK.

[...]

>  Everyone seemed convinced that they saw Linux as a means of utilising
>  old hardware. This I thought was a bad idea, as if this is all you
>  are trying Linux on, your new shiny XP box will obviously seem
>  better.

interesting. I would guess though that linux would first get onto and
old machine, then, not long after, get into an XP machine by the dual
boot door. This happens to be exactly what I did, and was a completely
logical thing for me to do at the time from my point of view.

The problem with older machines is that when taken out of the attci they
are not likely to have much memory.

[...]

>  Only one screaming lunatic. Shouted at me for giving Knoppix away for
>  free after he had paid a fiver for an older copy off a trader. This
>  was all a conspiracy against him and he was a Linux expert with
>  twenty years experience of programming for Linux Limited. Why was I
>  not selling it and why did I not have a Pingu logo to show I was from
>  the official Linux company !!!

I suppose there would be an advantage if it gathered attention, or even
a crowd(!)
Publicity at any price? :-)

--
alan c