[Infopoint] Report from Sunday's InfoPoint?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Dec 14 20:22:20 GMT 2005

Tony Whitmore wrote:
>  Hi, message for Alan Cocks really. Can you let us know how your
>  InfoPoint went on Sunday? It would be good if you could add a report
>  to the wiki.
>
>  Also, an update on BCF negotiations would be appreciated.
>  Cheers,
>  Tony

Hi Tony
I did get a table. Leon was the BCF liaison on the day, although he was
too busy to make it practical to continue negotiations during the day.
The event did seem fully booked, so I felt lucky to be given a table.
The trader adjacent was doing it as a hobby, and had (happily) covered
the cost of his 2 tables (70 ukp) by lunchtime, and was initially peeved
that BCF would give a table away. He soon warmed though, and it was
clear I was not trading (and I gave a few inches of table space for him
to expand, which worked wonders). He had purchased a 3ukp CD from a
Southampton area fair (Ubuntu?)  but interestingly had not yet had time
to use it. I hope I encouraged him a bit.  A trader nearby with a pile
em high and shift 'em approach had reportedly taken 500 ukp by lunchtime.

It was a busy event generally and some of my information leaflets were
taken. The people who I was able to engage in conversation turned out to
be a mix of existing users of open source or linux/bsd with a few
genuine newcomers. One, I noticed, timidly joined the Bracknell local
group and downloaded suse as I had given a link. I had pointed out the
LUGs but I think that was a step too far at that stage.

It was not too busy for me and single handed operation was ok on this
first event. I did not openly advertise free CDs and only offered them
to those who were interested enough to talk or ask, which meant about a
dozen, mostly Open CD3.1

I used an old desktop PII 400 MHz 384 RAM dual booting xp and suse 10
for demo. It was easier for security than a recent laptop, with me being
there alone, although heavy and inconvenient to carry in and out.

I think it is likely that BCF will accept a charge 'at cost' for CDs,
but I will not be charging until there is explicit agreement for this.

My original letter/fax to BCF can be sent on request to whoever is
interested by email if wished but it is probably discrete to avoid open
publication here on the semi public board.

BCF normal (trader) procedure would have been to confirm by phone when
they committed. I was naturally a lowish priority in a busy life for
them, and found it necessary to call them  on the Friday to check the
situation, and they tentatively committed to ' working something out',
and they did, which I am grateful for.

I am pleased with the day. It did actually happen :-) , and it was
obvious that a lot of people had a passing curiosity with the display,
but did not have enough interest (yet) to stop etc., or maybe simply did
not trust something which was strange to them. Hopefully it can become
regular and people may become more confident as they hear more about
open source in the media, as is happening more now.

On my arrival, Leon 'recognised' me (Infopoint) because I was wearing a
Tux baseball hat, so Leon is at least Tux-aware.

I expect to soon be uploading to the Infopoint wiki, the information
sheets I used, largely A4 laminated, on the stand, and maybe a photo.
--
alan c