[Infopoint] InfoPoints pay off

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 21:06:11 BST 2005

Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Not only have our InfoPoints finally broken even (after 6 months of
> running them), we had two people we met through our InfoPoint last month
> come along to our LUG meeting today*. They both seemed to have a good
> time - one even got introduced to IRC. :)
>
> http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?4thJune2005
>
> Tony
>
> * This turned out to be our busiest meeting on record - 41 people plus a
> few extras who drifted in and out!

We (WolvesLUG) tend to sell CDs for approx £1 each - even the shipit
ubuntu ones... for the following reasons :

- Most people don't believe "free" is good
- It discourages people taking a million and one cds and then using them
as beer mats or just throwing them away.
- It allows us to invest in burning our own cds (cd+case+sleeve) for
e.g. knoppix etc.

So far, I believe we have broken even - obviously the ubuntu ones in the
paper wallet sell _very_ well (they look slicker than home made stuff).

We've met a few interested people at Wolverhampton computer fairs, but
afaik none have actually turned up to LUG meetings yet - but they could
be lurking on a list, or it could just be my poor memory at fault (I'm
terrible with faces/names). We always give them the URL of the lug and
talk about the mailing list/curry meetings etc anyway.

David.

(Sounds like Hants LUG is larger than Wolves!)
--
David Goodwin

[ david at codepoets dot co dot uk ]
[ http://www.codepoets.co.uk       ]