[Infopoint] Bracknell BCF event etc

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Nov 27 20:50:59 GMT 2005

Tony Whitmore wrote:
>  alan c wrote:
> > Tony Whitmore wrote:
[...]
>  The lug.org.uk server is undergoing some fairly major problems at the
>  moment, and all services are being affected. This includes
>  mailman.lug.org.uk, so there may be a larger than usual delay in
>  delivering mail or seeing it in the archives.

Ah, that explains it, and some other things too.

[...]

> > I then went away for a month...... and only now can I start to
> > commit to Infopoint events locally, and the BCF event in Bracknell
> > is on 11th Dec. so I am aware that time is very short for the
> > initialising of something very new in this area (and to myself).
>
>  Indeed - we took a couple of months to plan our first InfoPoint and
>  prepare everything we needed! I'm sure you'll have those who are
>  helping you working hard to get everything ready.

mmm. I expect to have some sort of showing between now and Dec. 11th.
Hopefully at leaset another pair of hands wil pop up from somewhere
before then, but maybe a small show will be less complex than one with
many helpers. (optimistic look)

[...]

>  Yes, basically with Kat co-ordinating the northern fairs, Jono had
>  asked me to consider taking over the co-ordination of the
>  BCF/southern fairs.

please consider me as your volunteer around Bracknell?

> > My email-still-awaiting-moderation explains this I think and more,
> > including my question/s about contact with BCF. Lacking that
> > being responded to, and with time fast running out, I have already
> > made contact with BCF by phone and this was toady, mid this Sunday
> > morning (bless them).
> >
> > They were flexible and receptive, although they were not obviously
> > aware of Infopoint or any agreements. Under obvious freebie
> > constraints of not selling, the 35 pound table fee would I think be
> > waived, and possibly material cost only sales may be also accepted
> > - still to be negotiated though.
> >
> > Apologies if this would normally be done centrallly, but I did not
> > want to find any more delays from whatever source to make a pre
> > xmas even less likely in Bracknell.
>
>  Well, it's good news that they were receptive. One of the reasons for
>  having a central point of contact is that when Jono set up the
>  agreements, they will have been done through one individual within
>  BCF. What I wanted to try and do was pick up on Jono's contacts and
>  re-affirm the agreement at a high level before looking at individual
>  fairs.

They know I am new to it, and very open and recepticve to whatever non
profit ruels they see fit. For example brief initail discussion
suggested (their suggestion) that 1 pound per cd was an easy round
figure. But I recognised that this would be much more than cost of
materials. He thought that (in sussex) as many as 60 CDs could be moved,
and I joyfully said that in that sort odf scenario, I would be delighted
to pay their table fee (35 puond I think, but I would be happy asa
minimum to display and answer questions, demo etc, and give a few of my
own cds, for nothingm, if it was necessary. There was a need for them to
discuss at their higher level, I thingk about th e'non profit' criteria,
as you imply in your comment.

I am confident it can go ahead, at no charge, as a minimum, with finer
details to be yet sorted.

I will be faxing in a booking form, - wiht Infopoint as th eorg (thanks
fo ryou rcomments) with references in th epropsed display to th eSCLUG
and Hants LUG (Bracknell is near th eborder) for further oinformation.
AS they suggested I will add acovering letter eplaining the detainl and
referencing my phone conversation of today.

Tony, may I suggest that I contnue to get the booking established asap
now on this basis, and then (hopefully in a few days time, when they
have something in  place) you maybe pick up the contact as the area
coordinator or whatever, with me going ahead in bracknell at least fro
this event?
The BCF will already be tihknking about it from today onwards, an
dhopefully twill remain flexible. Did I mention they aparently were
aware of someones fair (not theirs) in sussex with a LUG there? I would
hope to avoid complications just right now.

>  This way we can reassure BCF that the tables are going to be
>  non-profit, for example and that the other aspects of the agreement
>  will be adhered to.

Very useful. If there is any doubt at this event on 11th DEc I will
simply give CDs at no cost, in modest quantity (I will not have namy) to
deserving enquirers.

>  It also means that we appears to BCF as an organised group with a
>  single point of contact rather than a disperate group of people all
>  organising their own things in their own way.

Again very useful. LEt me know how I could help whenever etc?

> > Tony - please advise me to what
[...]
>  An InfoPoint is an InfoPoint if it follows the philosophy and remit
>  of InfoPoints as laid out on the wiki.

Thanks, useful. I will run simply wiht Infopoint 'branding' with SCLUG,
Hants LUG referred to , and local contact wiht me anyway.

--
alan