[Infopoint] Infopoint - lets make it happen!!

Tony Whitmore tony at tonywhitmore.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 20:45:19 BST 2005

David Goodwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Indeed. We've been running InfoPoints regularly throughout this year,
>> and I know Kat and David have, but AFAICT that's all in 2005.
>
> Yes, Kat and I have, but getting around to doing one seems to get harder
> as time goes on. We had thought of going to e.g. Walsall Library on
> Software Freedom day, but didn't get around to it for one reason or
> another. (Lug/infopoint apathy)

It's very common - people are always happy to let others get on with it
if they can. Again, it goes back to the proportion of LUG members who
are happy to use their LUG solely as a technical resource. Contrast with
the Mozilla and OpenOffice communities who have groups of people who
actively work to advocate their software in the wider world.

>>> - First, lets change the focus of the project slightly. We are rather
>>> to restricted to computer fairs. People may want to run Infopoints at
>>> sci-fi shows, shopping malls, universities and other places.
>
> Universities would be a good place - spread it amongst the young and
> impressionable :)
>
> Perhaps something as simple as leaving a table full of Breezy CDs would
> suffice in a CompSci department with stickers on the back for the local
> LUG(s).

But even that's not really advocating FLOSS. Perhaps it's OK for CompSci
departments where people might be more familiar with the ideas of FLOSS,
but then those that are interested have probably already downloaded the
ISOs themselves. It's just distributing CDs with a little advertising
benefit for the local LUG. It may reach a few extra people who don't
know what FLOSS is all about, but a CD can't answer any questions they
may have. The interaction with (hopefully!) normal people on an
InfoPoint stand is one of the big plusses.

> Targeting other departments/areas would be far harder - people
> tend to veer away from anyone looking like they're trying to get
> someone's attention at a stall/stand?

We've found that at computer fairs. Some of the hardware vendors can be
quite pushy at times (especially at the larger fairs) and so we
counteract that impression by chatting genially between ourselves, with
half an eye on anyone in front of the stall, watching to see if they
need help. Approaching people over-eagerly results in more people
running away than staying. I'd rather people just took a leaflet and
read it in the car on the way home. If they have any questions, they can
come back next time. InfoPoints aren't about pressuring people to buy,
and we try to make that clear in our manner and signage.

I suspect that University foyers would be reasonable places to hold
InfoPoints - only approved stands would get access so it should be
obvious that we're not fly-by-night traders. The trouble with shopping
malls and other more public places is that you *do* get less reputable
stalls and people are more likely to treat you with suspicion. I'm not
sure I'd install software on my PC that was handed out by some random
bloke on the street.

>> I agree. We've never felt restricted to computer fairs - our first
>> InfoPoint was at a reconditioned computer sale organised by a local
>> homelessness charity. Computer fairs are a great place to meet people
>> who like playing with computers, but you run the risk of seeing the same
>> crowd of regulars each time.
>>
> We definately do when we have done the Wolverhampton computer fair(s). I
> think this is one reason why we've not done another lately as we're
> trying to find a better venue, but we've not found it yet.

Of course, you can really get to work on the regulars and grind them
down, month by month. ;) It's tricky - any busy fair will always have
new faces through the door. It's just a question of whether it's enough
to make the effort worthwhile. As mentioned originally, if we chat to
half a dozen people who seem genuinely interested, then I think it's
been a successful InfoPoint.

> The problem infopoints face is that the vast majority of people don't
> understand what an operating system is - they believe all PCs run
> Windows - and don't understand there are alternatives.

Surely InfoPoints are part of the solution to that problem? They go
hand-in-hand with the wider media coverage and the generally rising
profile of FLOSS. People might hear a mention of something on the Gadget
Show or wherever, but if they then see the word plastered high at a
computer fair and can see Linux running and play with it, then they'll
be more likely to realise that it is a potentially valid proposition for
them.

It's like seeing the magic battery-less watch on Tomorrow's World and
then seeing in in Argos a couple of months later. "It really *does*
exist!" you tell yourself.

> The Infopoints Katherine and I have done recently have normally had us,
> and occassionally one or two other for a portion of the day. I'm not
> sure if it's sustainable in this form, as spending an entire day at a
> computer fair is quite tiring (and I doubt I'm the best ambassador for
> the 'cause' with my great personality etc.

Heh, I think we met at LRL and there are a lot worse people who could be
out there meeting people. ;) The fairs we attend are not long - 5 hours
in total. We usually take about 30 minutes to set up and less to pack
up. With travel time it's about 7 hours in total, at a guess. Are there
other things I could be doing with a Sunday? Yes. Are there things that
I'd *rather* be doing? Sometimes. But I re-arrange social engagements
and do what I can to attend them. If you make an effort, it encourages
others to do the same. We've done stands when we only had three people,
but there are generally more than that. I try to make the stands as fun
for the volunteers as those visiting them.

>> The support we provide should take the form not only of advice and
>> guidance via the mailing list, but prepared media, electronic or
>> physical. There's "only" time and cost stopping the project from making
>> up CDs and leaflets for other people.
>>
> Ubuntu CDs are free :)

Exactly why they're listed on the wiki. :) They're ideal giveaways too,
with the Windows FLOSS and the live CD and the install CD all in the pack.

>> There are also a great number of practical tips that we've picked up
>> running stands (how not to scare people off!) that are available through
>> our wiki but could be munged into some semi-formal advice.
>
> See also http://infopoint.codepoets.co.uk

Yes, I've seen most of that content, it's very helpful. I'm sure that
between the two active teams we can come up with a reasonable
getting-started pack.

>> Please take some time to poke around the site, correct any errors and
>> omissions and most importantly add content that you think is relevant.
>>
>> http://infopoint.jonobacon.org/index.php/Main_Page
>
> I would, but that dodgy server isn't working at the moment. I'm willing
> to provide the hosting for it if necessary.

Yes, there have been problems with that site and the others hosted on
that server today, and they've been a bit dodgy for a while now.

>> I think it does need some wider pushing. It will help raise the profile
>> of the project and provide some nice links to show prospective fair /
>> event organisers to convince them to give us tables. :) We should
>> perhaps be thinking about tables in .Org villages at Expos and actually
>> giving a pimping talk at LRL2006.
>
> Indeed. The trouble is at a Linux expo you're talking to the converted;
> and there was very little interest in it at LRL.

I perhaps wasn't clear enough - tables at Expos and LRL are ideal for
recruiting new people to the InfoPoint scheme. Existing FLOSS users who
don't yet know they want to run InfoPoints. :) Getting them to start up
new teams in new parts of the country. There's no point trying to
convince a bunch of hairy-arsed hackers to use Linux - they already do.
But it is worth trying to convince them to get out into the outside
world and spread the word.

One of the problems is that a certain portion of the FLOSS community
still see Linux as an elitist thing, and aren't interested in
encouraging new people.

>> We've had people actually come along to LUG meetings (and more than
>> once!) as a result of meeting us at an InfoPoint. (OK, LUG recruitment
>> isn't the primary aim but it's a nice fringe benefit.)
>
> I'm not sure if we (Wolves LUG) have; even though we deliberately hand
> them a small flier with details of the local LUGS on it. Is this because
> the average non-technical person doesn't understand what a mailing list
> is? Would they prefer a web based forum? Is it possible to have a web
> based forum front end to a mailing list?

It is - this question was asked recently in our LUG (but not of our LUG,
because last time it was that discussion got rather heated!) Certainly
the volume of mail generated by a busy LUG can be off-putting to
newbies, but there are digest options for that.

It's also our job to make sure that they *do* understand what a mailing
list is, if they seem interested. We tend to focus on meetings and the
website though: We have a local version of the wiki and emphasise the
hands-on support of a meeting. We have "invite" posters  detailing the
next meeting[1] that include photos to give an idea of what people can
expect when they turn up. They show the social side of the meetings as
well as the diversity of attendees. Anything to bust the geek stereotypes!

[1] http://www.streetend.force9.co.uk/misc/infoart/posters/lugmeeting.pdf

>> I'd really like to see InfoPoints kick off and become useful, flexible
>> advocacy tools. It would be great to have half a dozen teams regularly
>> running InfoPoints around the UK and actively encouraging others to do
>> the same. What we need are people with time and energy. Even a little
>> bit from everyone subscribed to this list would help no end.
>
> Are there many people subscribed?

Apparently so. I think Jono said ~40. Which is many more than post. :)

Tony