[Infopoint] Bracknell Computer Fair Sun. 8-1-06

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Jan 8 21:42:50 GMT 2006

I was able to book a (freebie) table again I am glad to say. Fortunately
my 10metre power lead + extension was just enough to get to the pc. I
will take a 20metre length next time just in case. I think power is
generally provided but there was a temporary prob. with one corner of
the room today. Technically I was single handed, although I was relieved
to have my wife's help with hot drink flask, food and, when the Ubuntu
CD packs ran out (10) a courier replenishment from nearby home.
The extra help unpacking, packing up, and holding the fort for an
occasional talking to the man with dog, was invaluable, and for the
record - very much apprecieted. (As an aside, she was an ambivalent
initial user of linux, if not reluctant, so support is notable).

At this event I asked a small charge for cd materials and, compared with
last month's event (when I was actually giving away free to anyone
interested), today was more successful.

I suspected last time that in our often ruthless consumer society, a
free item is regarded with mistrust. For whatever reason, The interest
was enough to keep me almost totally busy all day without hardly a
break, and things moved: about 11 ubuntu packs and 15 other cds (Open
CD, Knoppix, PCLinux), and 23 information leaflets.

The occasional linux/unix user were welcome, including particularly one
appreciative soul who peeped round a small crowd and said 'Well done!'
when passing.
:-)
--
alanc