[Infopoint] Significance of media cover for FOSS - paid adverts?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Jul 10 14:08:52 BST 2006

I often reflect on why certain things dont happen - normal PC users,
even reasonably computer literate ones, usually do not know about foss.

Some that do know about it, are totally unclear about how it differs
from the usual 'free lunch' from some commercial products. In any
case, there are many hurdles for an isolated individual to know about
and begin happily using, foss.

Attenders at computer fairs are a special case, but even there, only a
small % take any interest.

I have been increasingly impressed by the memory of the large advert
which the Firefox community arranged in the (iirc) new york times a
while ago. Looking around the high street shops like Dixons or PC
world, and knowing how little response I received when initially
offering Infopoint CDs totally free, compared to the improved response
when I had  notice saying a (nominal) charge, I cant help thinking
that our mass advertising retail environment is accepted fully and
anything else is ignored or not considered seriously, that is, it is
not 'wanted'

This is important if only because, if customers do not 'want'
something (foss) for any reason, then existing monpolies will use that
as a justification for the status quo. And manufacturers will mostly
continue to ignore foss (including linux), which I find inconvenient.

I think there is an action in Europe currently about the supply of PCs
without an OS (or windows, anyway). If the investigation finds that
customers do not 'want' anything other than a pre installed windows,
then the monopoly is confirmed.

I believe that foss does not enter the popular information scene that
most PC users live in.
National, even local advertising, is expensive, but advertising is
accepted as making a product credible, if not desirable.

I would favour a move to get a national advertising activity - or
'popular press'-worthy news item/s with the objective of raising
awareness of foss. I had heard there might have been some locally
based adverts, but I do not know any more datails.

Anyone know any more?
--
alan cocks