[Infopoint] The state of the (Infopoint)?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Apr 22 19:06:47 BST 2007

Ron Wellsted wrote:

> I find a large number of people do NOT understand software licensing.
> They own a copy of Windows which they paid for, so they can install it
> on all and any computer they want, right? So why should they use this
> free stuff?

very intuitive yes, particularly in our advertising driven, retail
based, society.

>After all, if it's free, it must be rubbish, you get what
> you pay for in this life, right?

I found that at the computer fairs, just offering cds totally free of
charge did not get many takers, nor credibiilty.
I began to ask 50 pence or one pound per item - still near zero but at
least something - and I began to get a more useful relationship with
the punters.

> They totally fail to understand the concept of a (very restricted)
> software license.  They may have heard of copyright, but often ignore
> it, thinking that it does not apply to them.  Ripping a copy of a CD for
> a friend is OK, after all,if it was illegal, they wouldn't make the
> computers so you can do it, would they?

At computer fairs (for windows users eyes mostly) I have begun to use
the slogan
======================
Feeling locked in? - try FREEDOM Software!
FOSS
Free and open Source Software
Information

I think this is getting a better response, people are stopping to read
stuff.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391