[Infopoint] Infopoint Article

Tony Whitmore tony at tonywhitmore.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 19:13:55 BST 2007

Katherine Goodwin wrote:

> I'm hoping that we could have a bit of a rework of the site before then
> - so that its not out of date and clearly shows how people can help.
>
> Tony was mentioning on irc that we might like to change the wiki / what
> the site runs on generally, and it seems that this is the time to start
> the discussion.  I'm happy to spend some time putting content together,
> but don't want to start if we are going to change things around.

Well, content is relatively easy to move - there aren't too many pages.
I remember moving stuff from Jono's wiki to the new domain took two or
three hours of copy and pasting.

My main concerns with the wiki are keeping the mediawiki install
up-to-date and dealing with breakages to the anti-spam code and
template. The last upgrade did some strange things to the navigation
menus, for example. Kat suggested Dokuwiki as an alternative and I'm
tempted as I already use it at work. I'm not sure about it's anti-spam
features though.

I'm really not looking to move for moving's sake, but because of the
problems with maintaining Mediawiki. It depends how important we think
it is to make any move - is it worth spending some time getting the site
up-to-date before the article and changing wiki at a later date? When
the article likely to be out?

Thanks,

Tony