[Infopoint] GNU/Linux advocacy at Northern Computer Fairs

Matt Lee mattl at gnu.org
Sat Jul 28 18:29:30 BST 2007

http://www.computermarkets.co.uk/manchester.html

> I have been running a display table at the Bracknell Computer Fair
> regularly for a year now and can certainly recommend the approach if you
> are keen on advocacy. I love it, and although it can be a bit tiring I
> am really grateful for the opportunities to display.

What do you take? We were thinking of a few machines to burn copies of
gNewSense. What about shirts, books, stickers, etc?

> Incidentally I find that the 'Infopoint' branding is most useful to
> offer as a concept to the organisers. It is clearly a not for profit
> project and is clearly also aiming to offer information. It does not
> have any trading objectives. This can be significant because we are also
> not a registered charity so we operate in an area of voluntary and
> informal activities. Getting this understood can be useful in
> negotiating a presence. But perhaps you already know this - apols if so.

So, you find they are more open to the idea of letting you exhibit
without charge, because of the non-profit aspect?

> Are you also aware that Software Freedom Day is later this year? (15
> September 2007)
> http://softwarefreedomday.org/PressReleases/18072007

Yes, the FSF is one of the sponsors. As for the Manchester Group, I am
unsure what we'll do.. We've started to discuss it.

matt