[Infopoint] Infopoint website

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 22:44:06 GMT 2008

alan c wrote:
> Tony Whitmore wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I host the infopointproject.org website. I don't know what to do about
>> it. On the one hand, upgrading mediawiki for each of the regular
>> security releases is a pain. On the other hand, the stupor the project
>> is currently in doesn't make me inclined to invest a lot of time in
>> migrating the wiki to something more maintainable. (I've actually
>> installed dokuwiki but haven't migrated any content.)
>>
>> I can complete the conversion if people think its worthwhile. But the
>> front page is very out-of-date and AFAIK the only person doing anything
>> under the infopoint "banner" is Alan Cocks. I'd love to have the time to
>> do more in Hampshire, but really don't.
>>
>> I'm happy to keep the domain renewed for now but the options for the
>> website are:
>> 1) Keep it as it is. (I'd rather not do this due to all the mediawiki
>> security upgrades.)
>> 2) Move to another wiki engine or CMS. I'd suggest dokuwiki.
>> 3) Replace the site with some static HTML pages.
>> 4) Shut the site down.
>>
>> What do people think?
>> Tony
>
> Tony
> I probably am the only 'Infopoint' thing that moves just now, but the
> bracknell activity (regular monthly and for 2 years + and still
> counting) is going from strength to strength, so whatever you do, it
> would be important to maintain the 'branding' of Infopoint.The concept
> and objectives are excellent. A second helper sometimes turns up now, too.
>
> The great benefit that I find as an activist is that the Infopoint site
> bestows a Project background, a branding, a point of reference, a
> credibility.  Even as a static site it will allow other activists to
> coalesce, hopefully the mailing list will be able to continue with
> little effort?
>
> With so few other Infopoint activists currently there is little benefit
> in me keeping my activities up to date on the wiki, so I have not. I
> would not miss loosing the wiki as such, however I think that loosing a
> web based site would be a great disadvantage.
>
> I appreciate that you will keep the domain renewed, thanks.
>
> The Infopoint project is something which allows powerful action without
> necessarily having the backing of a LUG. After all Infopoint is about
> FOSS, not just Linux, and a significant part of the activity is related
> to such as the open disc (for windows).
>
> I would be happy to go for option
> 3) Replace the site with some static HTML pages
> if that would be less work. I would help if needed with some content
> although my admin skills are still near ignorant level, but it would be
> easy to feed some content to someone (yourself?)
>
> The mailing list is potentially important, I hope it can endure.
>
> As time goes on, it will be evident if the site continues to be useful,
> as I believe it will be.
> [...]

Option 3 sounds the best for ease/simplicity.

It could be a big mistake to let the domain go as it would be almost
impossible to get it back if it was released. It is well worth keeping
the Infopoint "brand" alive.

I feel guilty that I have not done more but it is inevitable that other
commitments take my time.  I will attempt to get some new blood
interested at the next LUG (next Weds) and see if Wolverhampton can get
back on the Infopoint map.

- --
Ron Wellsted
ron at wellsted.org.uk http://www.wellsted.org.uk
N 52.567623, W 2.136111 Linux Counter No. 202120
Ekiga: 645022