[IOML] Mailing List

Dylan Smith dyls at dylansmith.co.im
Tue Oct 21 10:10:09 BST 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Hall, Chris wrote:

> Also: does anyone have any experience with WINE  (was playing with it last
> night but nothing will install, though the file manager works!!)

I found wine a bit of a waste of time, really. There are apparently
commercially-supported versions of wine which are much superior to the
'reference' implementation (one I think is optimized for games, the
other for office type things).

The wine team really do have their work cut out - the Win32 API is
an unmitigated nightmare (I've spent quite a bit of time writing code
for Windows, and it wasn't very pleasant, especially the GINA DLL
I had to write), and much of it is fairly badly documented. I think
Microsoft themselves realise how braindamaged the Win32 API is, hence
the push for the .net CLR.

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man    | Code fast, crash young and
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net         | leave a beautiful core.