[IoMLUG] NOOBIE

centralnick at nicholasrice.co.uk centralnick at nicholasrice.co.uk
Sat Nov 15 13:46:54 UTC 2014

Hi everyone

I’m Nicholas Rice and I’m pleased to have recently joined the Isle of Man Linux list.

I’ve been interested in IT and computers since my first, the ZX81, many years ago when I was 11.  I’ve always been a supporter of the Linux cause, especially after Microsoft’s assassination of Netscape Navigator and the Vista release of Windows.

I first encountered the desktop PC in 1995, but found it difficult to adapt to it after the Sinclair Spectrum and the Commodore Amiga.  It’s a portal to a huge wider world and exposes the user to the underlying systems hidden by the earlier home computers, simultaneously offering great power and flexibility.  Linux is the epitome of this but after the demise of Windows XP I installed Lubuntu onto a laptap and am prepared finally to embark upon the steep learning curve it represents.

I do not work professionally in IT but understand that the open source movement is shaping the modern world; furthermore, I’d like to throw off the chains of proprietary software and big corporations.

I regularly attend the Code Club with Dan and look forward to meeting evidently like-minded people like you.

Cheers

Nick