[Klug-general] RAID OF DEATH!!!

Kevin Groves kevin.groves at kentpharm.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 15:13:26 GMT 2004

> !! WARNING !! Do not unplug disks without removing them from the array
> first, and having your head switched on and in gear and knowing which
> physical disk it is you want to unplug from the array.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing to remove more than one from an array
at a time. I've tested my RAID a few times by just pulling the disks out
(these are IBM xSeries hotplug ones so not a problem to remove) and it's
all worked. OK most of my machines are mirrored so only one CAN come
out. But I seem to remember that, depending on the RAID level and number
of disks, more than one drive down at a time can be a problem.

> I think i probably deserve 10 lashings with a cane for that

We all do silly things sometimes. You should see one of my more
recent....  A very busy live server was about to have a tape drive
upgrade (DAT->DLT) so I opened the front, pulled out the drive with it
still on trying not to let anything touch but just as it came out it
dropped a little and shorted taking the machine down. Ouch!

Kev,

> Thanks
>    Karl,

Kevin Groves
Computer Services Supervisor
Kent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Wotton Road
Ashford
Kent
TN23 6LL
Tel: 01233-638614 Fax: 01233-646899

--
The Information contained in this email is confidential and intended for the
use of the addressee only.  Unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution