[Klug-general] Slow FTP in SuSE9.0

Athon Solo athon at athon.me.uk
Fri Dec 3 12:51:55 GMT 2004

Kevin Groves wrote:

> Never had anything before the bothered me with SuSE. Version 8 was
> good and 9 too execept for this problem which evern removing ipv6
> still is slow. I will have to look at *everything* which is a pain.
>
> Karl Lattimer wrote:
>
>> Kevin Groves wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Here's a strange one....
>>>
>>> FTP to a particular server from a SuSE9.0 box transfer at 35kb/s! On
>>> two of my SuSE8.0 boxes i get over 100kb/s.
>>>
>>> I've ploughed through pages of Googles and found that there is
>>> mention of the ipv6 slowing things down under this version. Now the
>>> module is loaded on all three boxes although they could be differnt
>>> versions. I'm going to try and switch off ipv6 on the 9.0 box and
>>> see what happens.
>>>
>>> In the meantime any other ideas?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Kev,
>>>

>> ND9?
>>
>> FC3?
>>
>> Anything's gotta be better than SuSE
>>
>> Argh quick before Zee Germans get here!

Just backup before you do anu upgrade with SuSE and you should be
generally OK (and dont mention 'upgrade' on freenode #suse or you'll get
laughed at). Plus, under 9.1 I had problems with a number of packages
(mostly PHP4 ones) being uninstallable due to corrupted RPM Database.
This problem recurred even after a complete wipe.

Personally I'm using Debian now, which I'm very pleased with. Despite
using the 'testing' (Sarge) version it's never broken on me - yet. And I
do a lot of installing and uninstalling.

Allen