[Klug-general] Fwd: Using Linux (Fedora Core 1)

Wayne Brown waynebrown at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 22:29:02 GMT 2004

George Prowse wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the encouragement George.
>>
>> I've got the modem working even if it's only at half speed. It's a
>> dial up.
>>
>> To be honest I'm thinking of giving up on Linux altogether. It's a
>> good idea but it's got too many bugs. As I said I upgraded to Core 3.
>> I can't create a second user. The Find Files seems to freeze and I
>> still have the original printer and Mozilla problems to get back to.
>>
>> It's all taking up too much time.
>> Peter.
>>

>> George Prowse wrote:

>>> The trick is to get it working so you know what to do next time,
>>> you've done it once, you should be able to do it again or submit a
>>> bug report.
>>>
>>> What kind of modem is it?
>>>
>>> If you really wanted to get another anyway then what kind of
>>> internet connection do you have?
>>>
>>> George

> Well Fedora Core is Red Hats "testing ground" for what goes in their
> Enterprise package. My opinion (and i state that it is only that) is
> that you would be better off with Mandrake or SuSE.

Hi Paul,
I know how it feels - it can be frustrating when things don't just work.
For me, given the choice, I'll take a bit of extra work and a system
that's rock solid with great software than use MS products - I have
thrown good money at their stuff in the past and been very dissapointed
(I've used every version through my work up to the current XP) I'll
never buy their products again.

Some of the problems you experience are driver related - they are
getting fewer now, a symptom of one companies monopoly on the desktop
market (although Linux is winning slowly) and some can be because you
are using 'bleeding edge' software. As George says it's Red Hat's
testing ground (Fedora Core) so although it's stable, you might find a
few bugs in some of the software packages(not to be confused with Linux
the OS itself which is rock solid)

It's worth sticking with Linux, there is a wealth of great software,
with no restrictive licences to contend with. So much in fact that
sometimes the easiest thing is to ask others for recommendations and
save yourself time trying them all out :-)

I'm glad you've got your modem working again - for what it's worth -
external modems that connect via the serial port are the way to go
because no driver is required!  Much like if you go for broadband - it's
worth getting a modem that connects via a standard ethernet connector
and then you don't have any problems.
I find nearly all other hardware well supported - I recently installed
ubuntu (I had gentoo for ages until my hard disk died, backed up of
course; disk was only 15mths old, shocking really) and was pleasantly
suprised that with no configuration, no shuffling through a pile of
driver disks and no annoying 'you have moved your mouse, you need to
re-boot' a zillion times, around 30-40 minutes I had a completely
working system with configured:
monitor, graphics, keyboard, mouse, sound, internal usb card reader, cd
writing capability and even hot plugging usb devices working!
The only downside was multimedia support of things like mp3 and dvd
playback, you have to go and get it, but hey, I reckon if I installed
windows, then all the drivers and then all the software, it would take
me a day so I'm 7 hours to the good :-)

Mandrake is also very good for beginners too.

HTH and good luck

--
Regards

Wayne
Linux - Free as in speech and Free as in beer, find out more at
http://ubuntulinux.org
http://fedora.redhat.com